05 helmikuuta 2016

Celebrating Runeberg


Today the 5th of February we celebrate our national poet
Johan Ludvig Runeberg (1804-1877).
He wrote the original lyrics of our National Anthem 
Maamme / Our Land - in Swedish Vårt Land, 
then translated in Finnish and composed by Fredrik Pacius.
On the internet there are many translations, here is one:

Oh Our Land Finland Fatherland
Echo Loudly Golden Word
No Valley No Hill
No Water Shore More Dear
Than This Northern Homeland
This Precious Land Of Our Fathers
No Valley No Hill
No Water Shore More Dear
Than This Northern Homeland
This Precious Land Of Our Fathers
One Day From Your Bud
You Will Bloom
From Our Love Shall Rise
Your Hope Glorious Joy
And Once Your Song Fatherland
Higher Still Will Ring
From Our Love Shall Rise
Your Hope Glorious Joy
And Once Your Song Fatherland
Higher Still Will Ring

This drawing is made by the famous Finnish artist Albert Edelfelt.
It is the cover of The Tales of Ensign Stål
written by Runegerg and tells about the Finnish War in 1808-1809
after which Finland was separated from Sweden and became
part of the Russian Empire as the Gran Duchy of Finland.



Every year we modern Finnish people enjoy
The Runeberg Pastries - Runebergin torttu.
They look like this and taste very good with that raspberry jam.
I like this kind of traditions!


This week I read the very interesting and tragic biography of Marilyn Monroe
by Donald Spoto.  My post can be found here.


I participated in the Makrotex Challenge with my clock photos...


... and in addition to snow my January 2016
was filled with also vibrant colors...



Linking with 



Five on Friday

Wishing you all a very good weekend!

17 kommenttia:

  1. Interesting post and I agree I like the modern traditions, the cake looks divine, am going to look up a recipe and maybe give that a go!

    VastaaPoista
  2. What a great tradition, I love the look of the cake.

    VastaaPoista
  3. Oh, torttuja on syöty, mutta olin jo unohtanut, että Runebergin päivä on tänään. Hyvä kun muistutit! :)
    Hieno postaus! Mukavaa viikonloppua!

    VastaaPoista
  4. How interesting! Have a great weekend :) I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2016/02/tea-time-birthdays-and-tea-parties-2516.html

    Colletta

    VastaaPoista
  5. Those Runeberg Pastries look absolutely delicious. I love the photos and colours of your Tulips.

    VastaaPoista
  6. I hope you're having a great day today, my darling Riitta !
    I'm always amazed by your photographs, my sweet friend, thank you for sharing them !
    Have a most beautiful end of your week
    sending love and hugs to you
    Daniela

    VastaaPoista
  7. What a sweet tradition! I know very little about Finnish artists and poets...
    Your mosaics are lovely, well done.
    Have a nice weekend

    VastaaPoista
  8. What a fantastic way to celebrate this artist! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, happy weekend! xx

    VastaaPoista
  9. Love the look of your pastry and the poem is beautiful! Your last mosaic is full of beauty too. Have a lovely weekend xx

    VastaaPoista
  10. A lovely post for Five On Friday. You have had a good week creating your beautiful photo collages and reading. Now you've enjoyed a nice tradition of eating special cake in honour of your national poet. I'm always learning something new so thank you for sharing about Finnish artists and writers.

    VastaaPoista
  11. Interesting, I enjoyed the history of your national song. And I like the look of the Runeberg pastry.

    Diana

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. History is fascinating, it's good sometimes to think of one's own. Have a lovely weekend Diana!

      Poista
  12. The little cake looks lovely! I was a big fan of Marilyn Monroe, so I shall have a read of your book review. Xxx

    VastaaPoista
  13. Fascinating post, I enjoyed reading about your country's history and traditions. Your collage is wonderful and so colourful. Have a lovely weekend:)

    VastaaPoista
  14. Your photo's are lovely so colourful, the Runeberg tarts look yummy. Thanks for your visit and enjoy your weekend. :) x

    VastaaPoista
  15. I love that the Finland celebrates its famous poet! Love the look of that tart too! :-) Gorgeous photos, and the book about Marilyn Monroe sounds excellent! She is one of my favorites!

    VastaaPoista
  16. The woodcut illustration of the poem is beautiful. And the little cakes look so very delicious!

    VastaaPoista

Thank you for your comment ♥ All comments containing an advertising link shall be removed.

Kommentoimalla HYVÄKSYT, että Google kerää sinusta määrättyjä tietoja. Mitä ne ovat, löytyy sivulta Yksityisyydensuoja sekä Googlen sivulta.